BANK FAMILY ORIGINAL LENTIL SOUP
From Cousin Stuart Bank
2 Tbs olive oil 1 Quart low sodium beef broth or boullion
1 Tbs. butter 1 Quart low sodium chicken broth or boullion
1 cup yellow or Vidalia onion 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 cup (4-5) carrots (chopped) 1 14.5 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
½ cup celery (chopped) 1 Tbs tomato paste
½ cup medium pearly barley 1 Tbs Basil
1 cup Lentils Hot Sauce to taste
2 Bay leaf
Note: Clean and rinse lentils to ensure they are clean and tender for cooking.
· Heat oil and butter over medium heat in soup pot. (butter is optional)
· Sautee onion, carrot, celery & 2 bay leaves until tender but crisp
· Stir in Tomato Paste for 1 minute
· Add dashes of hot sauce for taste (optional) and stir
· Stir in Lentils and Barley for 1 minute
· Add diced and stewed tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes
· And beef and chicken broth or boullion and bring to slow rolling boil over medium heat.
· Lower heat to simmer for 1.5 – 2 hrs stirring every 30 minutes. (Longer cooks, the better)
· Add basil and cook for final 30 min.
Makes a little over 4 quarts. Ready to serve. Great with hard crusty bread.