Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours, 00 minutes
- 1 small, whole, unpeeled orange, cut into pieces and ground in a food processor
- 2 cups shredded raw, sweet potatoes
- 2 cups shredded raw, carrots
- 2 cups shredded tart apples
- 1 cup brown or white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2/3 cup light raisins
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart cassarole, cover, and bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40 minutes.
3. Uncover and continue baking for an additional 20-30 minutes.
YIELDS: 10-12 servings.
VARIATION: Place halved pitted prunes, cherries, or pieces of pineapple on top of kugel before baking, or add 1 cup of chopped dates, pitted prunes, or pineapple to the mixture.
From Classic Kosher Cooking by Sara Finkel from About.com.